Painting and/or waterproofing the inside of your chicken coop?
A couple things to keep in mind if you are painting and/or waterproofing the inside of your chicken coop. If the waterproofing produces strong toxic fumes, leave plenty of time in the building process to let it dry/cure/and air out. Chickens are actually fairly sensitive to the same chemicals and inhaled toxins that we are. Canaries were used in mines to sense toxins for hundreds of years. Long term exposure in confined quarters may be harmful. However, that being said, with todays heightened awareness of these chemicals, many companies are going to great lengths to create paints and waterproofing that is non-toxic! The best thing you can do, is check with your waterproofing supplier, read the labels, and give the new chicken coop as much time to air out before occupancy as possible!