Day Old Kosher King Chickens
Kosher King Chickens are hybrid birds that are great alternatives to the Cornish Cross as meat birds. They have a more natural growth rate, taking 11-12 weeks, and are vigorous and healthy foragers, perfect for natural or organic farms.
Production: Kosher Kings are optimal for meat production and are not good egg layers. Kosher Kings take longer than Cornish Cross to reach marketable weight, but grow faster than heritage breeds, with females reaching a dressed weight of about 4-5 pounds in 12 weeks, and males reaching about 6 pounds.
Temperament: Unlike Cornish Cross, Kosher Kings are energetic and robust in general. They will need an area to forage as they grow and are very active.
History: The Kosher Kings - sometimes referred to as Silver Kings - originated from a mix of heritage breeds, including Barred Rocks and Sussex Chickens. They are delicious and easy to raise meat birds that would fit into any farm setting.
APA Class: Not recognized.
Color Description: Because of their mixed heritage, there can be a bit of color variation. Most - about 80% - will be barred, similar to a barred rock in color. The other 20% will be red and silver.
Conservation Status: Not applicable
Weight: Cockerel 6-7 lbs, Pullet 4-5 lbs